>I recently purchased a Mac G4/400 with the DVD-RAM option, hoping that
>this would be a simple backup solution.

We did the same thing with a G3/300. Apple's IDE DVD-RAM drive has got to
be the slowest in existence. And DVD-TuneUp won't help -- Retrospect
reformats the DVD using Apple's driver before using it for backup.

If you want to backup to DVD-RAM, learn a great deal of patience or find
a faster drive. We learned that the hard way.

Dan Knight, information systems manager       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Baker Book House Company                 <http://www.bakerbooks.com>
6030 East Fulton                                   616-676-9185 x146
Ada, Michigan 49301                                 fax 616-676-9573

  "As for Pentium PCs, well, they're harmless."