jakob krabbe wrote on 17/3/2000 10:21 am:

> If I get a Sony AIT drive, can I use the old 25 - 50 GB tapes in that drive?
>
> That would be a great way to upgrade the backup in the future, simply buy
> larger tapes...

There's an Acrobat file that explains the AIT format in detail on the Sony
website, I'm afraid I can't remember where. Believe me, you want to have the
formats sorted out in your head before you make a decision. The basic rule
though is that the smaller tapes will work in larger drives, eg 25-50Gb will
work in 50-100Gb drives. Look out for the differences between AIT, AIT-1 and
AIT-2 as well. It's all in the PDF.

--
MARK HEWITT
Programmer / MAX Multimedia / London