Another method that we found works at Motorola, is to keep DHCP, and
using the following in a batch script, on Windows OS machines.  We do
not have a problem with our Macintosh systems and DHCP and the
Retrospect Client.

net stop Retrospect  (Whatever it is called in your Services Control Panel)
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
net start Retrospect

This causes the DHCP renewal to take place, when the client has been
stopped and then starts it again, once the new IP address has been
obtained.  We put a shortcut of this batch file on their desktops,
and when they come in and dock, the double-click this icon, and it
take 10 seconds.

It also resolves any network problems they maybe having with expired
DHCP leases, that are not automatically renewed.

..Greg

At 6:56 AM -0700 4/18/00, Ronnie Livingston wrote:
>In my experience with Retrospect, it does not do a very good job handling
>clients that change their IP addresses. We use DHCP here and found that
>machines were going for some time without being backed up. We isolated this
>problem to changing IP addresses and noticed that whenever we "forgot" a
>client and readded them, they worked fine until the user's IP address
>changed again. To solve this issue, we reserve all of our IP addresses - we
>also do this for DNS purposes.
>
>Now, your problem is different in that we haven't been backing up mobile
>users that dial-in. Here at RD, we have people that travel but no sales
>force or anyone that works from home on a continual basis. I would suspect
>that your best avenue would be to back up those systems via AppleTalk since
>it doesn't seem to matter where the machines are on the AppleTalk network
>or what the node address is.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Ron Livingston
>Systems Engineer
>Siecor RD&E
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>To:   retro-talk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>cc:    (bcc: Ronnie Livingston/RD&E/Siecor)
>Subject:  Internet Backup
>

>Hi there,
>
>I was wondering how to manage a backup when they have a fixed ip or
>dhcp at work then go home and use dialup on macs and pc's and travel.
>
>How does retrospect recognise a changing ip. Do I have to add the
>subnet for all the isp's that are being used??
>
>Thanks
>
>Michael
>--
>____________________________________
>Reef Asia/Pacific
>Global Desktop Support Coordinator
>tel +61 (0)2 9213 3223
>fax +61 (0)2 9212 4605
>mobile +61 (0)402 130 132  (Lost/Stolen and forgotten)
>ICQ: 20929276
>PGP Key ID: 0x598EED9B
>www.reef.com
>Problems?:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>--
>Problems?:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Greg Jewett, Server/Project Engineer   Phone: (512) 996-4257
Motorola IT Department                 Pager: (800) 478-4034
Parmer Lane - IT Department            ePage: [EMAIL PROTECTED]