From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf
Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 4:19 PM
To: retro-talk
Subject: Re: Crashing server after nightly backup

We have an ASIP server that has a RAID attached and we were experiencing
crashes too.  One lista suggested that we put the backup device (and AIT
loader) on it's *own* SCSI card instead of sharing the same bus as the
RAID.  I was very skeptical about this but when I finally tried it, I was
pleasantly suprised - it worked.

Another thing we do is have appleshare boot everyone off the server before
the backup starts (I can't remember if 6.2 ever did this reliably, but 6.3
sure does).  It was always my suspicion (can't prove it) that the U&G list
was getting hosed somehow when users were attached and active during a
backup.  My reasoning is that I haven't had a single U&G related crash
since we went to this practice.  It was getting hosed all the time before
that.

What you say about the server crashing after a certain number of people
connect smells like a U&G problem.

HTH a little,
Mark Maytum
Pompanoosuc Mills Corporation