Hi Noah,

Retrospect will label erased tapes as it sees fit. If a tape is erased,
Retrospect ignores the tape's name. Retrospect will only look for a tape by
name once that tape has already been written to.

Your specific experience will differ if you are running a regular backup
script or a Backup Server script. Regular, scripted operations will ask for
tapes based on the specific scheduled operations you have set.

A Backup Server script, when instructed to use multiple backup sets, will
dynamically prioritize the media based on its own assessment of the
available backup sets. In an autoloader, when erased media is available,
Backup Server will assign the tapes to more than one backup set and rotate
between them automatically.

It's generally best to label the media *after* Retrospect decides what to
name each tape.

We also have a Backup Server FAQ which will should make its functionality
easier to understand.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=bscommonq

Best regards,

Eric Ullman