Eric Ullman notes:

>First of all, I personally use one of these drives, and it rocks. It
>replaced an aging DDS-2 drive, and I absolutely love the VXA. I use it with
>a SuperMac S900 clone (basically a 9500), connected to the mediocre
>logic-board SCSI, and I still get over 135 MB/min locally. Two more systems
>are also backed up as clients, but that's only over 10baseT, so we won't go
>there. ;-)

I concur. I have an S900 with the Umax E100 card (100Base-T plus
fast/wide SCSI, check Small Dog, PowerOn, Other World for possible
supplies at $40 or so). My local backup is in the same ranged. Network
backup peaks at about 60 MB/min over 10Base-T, so I'm exploring a few
100Base-T switch options, which should allow faster network backup (we've
sometimes passed 300 MB/min at work). At that point I'll probably move
the VXA drive to my SuperMac J700, which functions primarily as a server
for my email lists.

One thing I really appreciate about Retrospect is the ease of moving it
to another computer, which I've done several times at work.

Dan Knight, information systems manager       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Baker Book House Company                 <http://www.bakerbooks.com>
6030 East Fulton                                   616-676-9185 x146
Ada, Michigan 49301                                 fax 616-676-9573

 - Macintosh: Love bug resistant, always Y2K ready