Ok, I've had it.  I have a 7600/132 with 64 MB of RAM running OS 8.1 and
ASIP 5.0.3.  I realize that's pretty skimpy but we intend to upgrade in the
new budget year.  As for serving up files it does just fine but every
single time it gets backed up over the network it crashes and Retrospect
gives a 519 error.  Perhaps it's not the server perse at all.  I have 2
external SCSI drives on this Mac.  The first in the chain is a Seagate 9G
Barracuda (ST39175LW).  Double checking I see this is an LVD device which
according to Seagate's specs is suppose to work on a SCSI-1 or SCSI-2 chain
but maybe it's causing the problem.  The second drive is a Seagate 4.5 Gb
Cheetah (ST34501N).  What exactly is the level of SCSI on PowerMacs?  I
find it confusing that SCSI has changed so much but it seems like the SCSI
port in the Macs has always been the same.

Additional info, backup tape server is a 7500/100 with 32 MB of RAM and it
has no problem backing up other clients over the network.  The tape server
and the file server are both plugged into network connections on the wall
and each of those connections go directly to a Bay switch (which I have no
idea how it's configured, not my equipment)

Hope someone can give me some ideas. I'm getting tired of people saying
"The servers down!"  And I reply, "Sure it is...I was trying to back it up!"

Lisa Weihl, System Administrator        E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Computer Science  Office: Hayes 225
Bowling Green State University          Phone:  (419) 372-0116
Bowling Green, Ohio 43403-0214  Fax:    (419) 372-8061