This sounds like the classic 519 scenario. (check the retro-talk
archives, there is tons of info on this including a whole section on the
dantz website devoted to this).

I can pretty much guarantee this has nothing to do with your scsi chain.

If you 've already tried replacing the ethernet patch cables and moving
the server to a different port on the switch, you have two things left
to do:

solution 1: upgrade server to OS 8.6 (fixes built-in ethernet problem on
G2 Power Macs)
solution 2: install a 3d party ethernet card (ie AsanteFast 10/100)

(or, better yet, do both).

If you do wind up installing 8.6 on the server, you may have to upgrade
the version of ASIP to 6.2 -- don't know if v.5x is happy under OS 8.6

--

top of the world,

Luke Jaeger, Technology Coordinator
Disney Magazine Publishing
Northampton, Massachusetts
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and may not represent
the opinions of Disney Publishing, etc etc etc.

*