At 9:30 AM -0500 6/12/00, Gary R. Bernstein wrote:
>I can't pinpoint this problem and I hope maybe one of you have seen it. I
>have about 100 G3 or imac computers and this problem is only affecting 1
>Blue and White G3. The scenario is that the user puts the computer in
>Shutdown mode and leaves the computer with the bouncing retrospect logo
>running. The computer gets backed up with a script set to not shutdown the
>computer. The next morning the user comes in and the retrospect logo is
>still bouncing (which is correct), but the mouse and keyboard are
>unresponsive. We have to pull the plug or hit the power switch to reboot,
>then the user gets the "you didn't shut me down properly" message.
>Any ideas on why the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive.
>I have tried having retrospect shutdown the computer with a shutdown
>script, but that seems to crash the computer as well.

Are you using a USB keyboard and mouse? The B&W G3s can use ADB as
well. I'd suggest trying one of those keyboards if you've got USB on
it now, and see if it has the same problem.

We had problems here with Macally keyboards and mice becoming
unresponsive after being left alone for a time. Had to unplug and
replug the device back in for it to be functional again. That's also
another solution. :)

Good luck!

Julia Frizzell
User Consultant/Analyst
The Education Alliance
Northeast and Islands Regional Educational Laboratory at Brown University
222 Richmond Street, Suite 300
Providence, Rhode Island  02903-4226
401.274.9548 x311 or 800.521.9550 x311
401.421.7650 (fax)