From: Jeffry C. Nichols [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 9:43 AM
To: retro-talk
Subject: Compression and speed

With all this talk of compression, speed, different drives, etc.,
would it be possible for someone at Dantz to set up a database that
Retrospect users could contribute to with the purpose of documenting
the different systems and their performance?

At a minimum, it could include backup computer type, backup device
used, connection type (SCSI, USB, Firewire), typical backup speeds as
reported in the log file, and most importantly, footnotes to
problems/solutions that people have tried or used to improve their
own backup.

As an example, I'm currently fighting the problem of several backup
clients which run faster via Appletalk than TCP/IP.  Also, I'd like
to know, as someone else mentioned, would it be advantageous to get a
SCSI-2 or SCSI-3 card, or am I limited by the speed of the backup
device itself?

Just my $0.02.

Jeffry C. Nichols, PhD
Instructor/Lab Coordinator