>What exactly is the purpose of verifying media after copying it?

To prevent data loss.

>How often is a file copied incorrect?

Every time a tape goes bad.

>My guess is that one file out of 10 billion,, is incorrect
>copied and I'm ain't gonna take the time to look for that file...
>I can see the point in verifying media but still, I see no point in
>veifying media...

I'm talking about byte-by-byte comparison.  If you do no comparison,
do you check to see that your data is restorable?  If you don't check
it, you must not have heard the common stories about having no
useable backup after a major crash.  I've heard many.

Eric Zylstra