>We have a 519 network-loosing-connection-with-client-error, which i
>have traced (finally) to a new HP Procurve 2424M switch installed as
>a central switch in our star topology network.
>It has 100tx links to SMC Tigerswitches in other buildings.
>
>If the Blue and white G3 running retrospect is connected directly to
>the HP switch only 4 of our 30 clients get backed up
>
>When i move the G3 to one of the arms of the star and plug into any
>SMC switch the backup runs just fine achieving speeds up to 60
>Mb/minute.
>
>The HP switch does not report any errors
>
>anyone come across this?

This might be a bit late to do any good, but I thought I'd mention one
observation. I've had plenty of trouble in the past when setting up
NetBoot labs where new switches have been installed. Starting with iMacs
and B&W G3s (the first Macs with built-in 10/100 Ethernet), switches with
Spanning Tree turned on do not work well (if at all) with those Macs. You
might check your HP switch to make sure to turn off Spanning Tree
routing/switching for the ports where you have your Macs. Once this was
done in my NetBoot labs, everything sprang to life and it worked
perfectly. Hope this helps...

Fred