Hi Retrospect Users,

I have been using retrospect backup 5.1 (100 user license) for NT backups
over the last 6 months with hardly any problems.

I am only running one backup set at a time on our NT server to one tape drive
(DDS3) but am using two scripts (desktops scheduled to start at 10pm each day,
laptops via backup server) to the one tape backup set.

About once every 3 weeks I get an error -1101 and I lose the catalog file.
Although I have added several tapes to the tape backup set. The error is:

"Can't access backup set ..... error -1101 (file/directory not found)"

The catalog on disk becomes corrupt I can't reload the .rbc file manually:

  "Update catalog - File is not a catalog or is heavily damaged"

The first time this happened I was getting low virtual memory errors
(I have 128MB in the machine+196 swapfile) and started a new backup set using a
compressed catalog. But this also failed.

My catalog files range from 110MB -> 180MB in size.  I guess this is resonably
large - even for a compressed catalog. I know the manual gives the expected
size for every n-thousand files.

I am backing up 35 NT workstations + 5 NT servers + 10 win95/98 laptops using
Normal backup and I haven't recycled any tapes.

When I start a new tape with only one scheduled (normal/incrementalplus) backup
of everything set my catalog file (uncompressed) is around 100MB with about
30GB of data being backed up first time around.

Has anyone else had these problems?  I guess adding more RAM would postpone
the memory errors but I am looking at adding more machines to be backed
up in the next few weeks.

Thanks

Aaron
| Aaron Scott                      [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Computer Systems Officer                                   |
| Department of Computer Science,                            |
| University of Newcastle,         Phone:  +61 2 49216034    |
| Callaghan 2308, NSW AUSTRALIA.   Fax:    +61 2 49216929    |