Mac OS 9's Multiple Users mode (unfortunately) does not make the Mac OS a
true multi-user environment. Unlike NT (and Mac OS X, I imagine) when a
non-administrator-level user is logged in, you can't have services running
in the background with full admin privileges. In other words, it's a hack
(albeit one that's as elegantly done as possible). When a different user
logs in, preference files are moved around and may become hidden from the
current user.

The method that Apple uses to do this has the unfortunate consequence of
creating *multiple* copies of specific preference folders, etc. As a result,
Retrospect's "Special Folders" selectors will back up the active
corresponding folders, but not those belonging to the other users. The
administrator must create name-based selectors to catch those folders.
(Remember, though, that unless the currently logged-in user has the
privileges to see everything, then Retrospect won't be able to either.)

Windows does not have this limitation. I don't think Mac OS X will either.
Those OSes are designed as multi-user environments.

I hope this is clear. It can be a difficult issue to understand.

Eric Ullman
Dantz Development