>The problem is that Retrospect randomly freezes during the backup - it may
>be at 5mb or 200Mb.  I have tried several different (5200/6200) machines
>with similar results.  At present I am using a 6100 without problems, but
>cannot continue as the 6100 is needed as a workstation.
>Has anyone else had problems with such a configuration?

The x200 series were seriously compromised hardware designs. Full details
at <http://lowendmac.com/tech/x200.shtml> and less technical overview at

It boils down to Apple essentially putting a 603 processor on a Quadra
motherboard. Part of the problem was a 64-bit CPU on a 32-bit
motherboard, but that's only the start of it. A big part of the problem
is multiple bus speeds within the motherboard: 37.5 MHz for the part with
the CPU, 33 or 30 MHz for the video section, 10 MHz for the comm
slot/ethernet/SCSI/ADB, and 12 MHz IDE bus. All this was overseen by the
CPU using ROM routines to manage timing.

My head hurts just thinking about it.

And it gets even worse. Because of the system architecture, all data from
either the ports or the ethernet controller must pass _through_ the
processor to get to memory, then be processed and sent back out on the
SCSI bus.

In short, the most convoluted system architecture ever to come out of
Apple. It's amazing it gets as far as it does running Retrospect for
network backup.

Dan Knight, information systems manager       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Baker Book House Company                 <http://www.bakerbooks.com>
6030 East Fulton                                   616-676-9185 x146
Ada, Michigan 49301                                 fax 616-676-9573

  Macs for productivity, Unix for stability, Windows for solitaire