Dear all,

..do you think replacing the monumental BackupExec with Retrospect on our
servers will make life easier here at sysadminville?

but read on for more details..

I have been using Retrospect for backing up our Mac workstations and NT
file volumes (accessed from mac client), our old administrator had once
setup Backup Exec on our NT server but often came accross with a number of
problems in recovering the data and in debugging/keeping streamlined and
reliable periodic backups with this software. I laughed at his troubled
life using BackupExec (which seemed to me it was overkill and convolution,
though it seemed to be the choice of many a sysadmin) while my retrospect
backups worked like a charm on our mac machines.

Dantz has recently come up with a windows version of Retrospect and upon
quick examination and backup of my personal laptop (running NT), which
turned out to be as sweet a process as I have been acustomed to when using
it with my macs, I feel it would make good sense to use try it out in our
NT servers, and maybe replace ExecBackup for good.

However, I do not know if there are any specific reservations you would
have about this decision, I haven't installed/natively backed/restored our
servers with Retrospect enough times to find out any potential pitfalls..do
you think replacing the monumental BackupExec with Retrospect will make
life easier here at sysadminville?

thanks!

Cesar
Cesar Morales