More clearing up...

Jim's description on how an auto-sensing hub works was excellent.

and here's some other thoughts.

The data transfer between any two devices will only happen at the
speed of the slowest device.

So, a Mac talking to a switch at 100bps will talk to the switch at
that speed, but if another Mac is only talking at 10bps, the two Macs
will only talk to each other at 10bps.  The faster one will have a
lot of wait cycles.

Now, there are two different technologies going into auto-sensing
hubs though.  That is, a 10/100 Hub.  One, the backbone of the entire
hub will communicate at the slowest speed (these are usually the very
cheap 10/100 hubs), and the other that operates as two separate hubs
joined together with a switch and therefore they will operate at the
speed of the slowest device.  If both devices are 100bps, then the
speed is 100bps, depending on load of the hub.    I would wager that
over 90% of the autosensing hubs use this method.