I've been examining the backups I'm doing with open Filemaker Pro
databases. I guess the party line from Dantz is that it's a bad thing
to back up open database files.

On our backup LAN, we back up a Filemaker server using the remote
client control panel (on a Mac) and the files get backed up without
On another network I manage, the backup server has open filemaker
databases and they back up normally as well.
On a third network, the Filemaker server gets backed up using
personal file sharing. These files always fail to back up with
errors. On this machine, the Filemaker server copies its files to
another directory nightly, and the copies get backed up no problem at
backup time.

I figure that if I have 'verify' turned on, and the log doesn't
indicate a problem that the database files are getting backed up
okay. Is this the experience of the list, or should I be practicing
preventive paranoia?

Todd Reed
Infoasis  ---   534 4th St., Ste. 2  ---  San Rafael, CA 94901
(415) 459-7991  ---  FAX: (415) 459-7992
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  ---  http://www.infoasis.com