Not withstanding all of the fine answers that have been posted previous to
mine, check out:

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dbakkers/ashare_helper/

Among other things, it makes a backup of the pds file, the users and
groups file and monitors the server to make sure it is running. It is
freeware and he has been keeping up it up to date. He just released
version 1.7.1. It's a young application, but it has been running on my
machines for about 3 months. I just downloaded the latest version.

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Steve Maser wrote:

> Can this be done?
>
> I have Retrospect 4.3 running on my ASIP 6.3.x server.  The invisible
> "AppleShare PDS" file is always "open", so it's not getting backed up.
>
> Anybody know an easy way of backing this file up, short of turning
> the file server off, making a copy of it, then backing up the copy?
>
> (Or am I missing something in Retrospect that would let me do this?
> I back up other invisible files with no problems.)
>

> - Steve
> --
>
> Steve Maser ([EMAIL PROTECTED])    | Thinking is man's only basic virtue,
> Systems Project Coordinator      | from which all the others proceed.
> Dept. of Mechanical Engineering  |                          -- Ayn Rand

> For urgent issues, please contact Dantz technical support directly at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] or 925.253.3050.

-- "I tried, but it didn't work" is a lot better than "I wish I'd tried."

        Gary R. Bernstein                       System Services Director
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 Krannert Center for Perf. Arts
        217-333-8297               College of Fine & Applied Arts - UIUC