Hi Steve,

When using Retrospect with autoloaders, keep in mind that there are two
modes of operation: unattended and interactive. All immediate actions (under
the Immediate tab), except "Run," are automatically in interactive mode. All
automated actions (or scripts, including those started under the Run menu or
with the Run button) are automatically in unattended mode.

In interactive mode, Retrospect is assuming the user is in front of the
machine and can be prompted for input. This means that even though you have
an autoloader, if you are doing an immediate backup, Retrospect will prompt
you for the correct tape.

In unattended mode, Retrospect is assuming the user is not in front of the
machine. In this mode, using an autoloader, it will automatically seek out
the tape(s) it needs for the restore. You may switch between the two modes
once the restore operation has begun from the Control menu. Try running in
unattended mode and letting Retrospect complete the operation itself.

Regarding why the pop-up menu isn't appearing consistently, that may be an
indication of device or communication problems; I'd strongly suggest that
you give us a call and discuss this over the phone.

Irena Solomon
Dantz Technical Support
Try our new Searchable Knowledgebase at: