I was plesantly surprised when someone from Dantz Tech Support (SHAME on me for not
noting who it was!) phoned me to discuss this post.  Let me pubicly thank Dantz for
taking the step to phone me to help.  Unfortunately, we did not pinpoint where the
problem lies, but there are some updates to the story, which I'll share in hopes that
it will someday help someone else (cuz we all search the archives, right?):

This morning I started an immediate duplicate of the source machine (B&W G3) to my
archive tape set.  It started at a typical 65MB/sec, but again the speed fell through
the day, looking like this:

11:00A - 65MB/min
1:37P  - 15.4MB/min
3:16P  - 10.7MB/min
4:52P  - 8.1MB/min
5:30P  - 7.4MB/min- which is as I type right now.

I have screenshots that show the speed and monitor window from IPNetMonitor, in case
they may be of value.

Prior to the backup, I ran DiskWarrior 2.0 on the client, which did find problems in
the Volume Information of the only disk.  Although DW reported them fixed, my speed
declines persist.

To address your questions and points, and give more info:
The original post came on a Saturday morning.  Over Friday night, my network traffic
was at it's lowest possible, so I doubt network congestion is the problem.
My local operations are at the speed I expect.  The backup server can copy to from an
ASIP server at about 7MB/sec.
Source and destination for the duplicate were both Retro clients.  There would be no
communication problems with a tape drive in the original post.
Network is 100B switched.
Backup server has 224MB of RAM, 15MB set for Retro preferred.
Between the original duplicate and the above Immediate Backup, I ran a normal
incremental backup on my LAN.  Copied 7 gigs from an ASIP server at 71MB/sec average.
Entire copy here is just over 3 gigs.

Steve.
--
Steve Yuroff