Hello,

I've included below the relevant part of the Retrospect 4.2 User's Guide
that discusses the Finder.Dat file and gives some background on what happens
when a Mac file is copied to a PC. This has also been added to the
Knowledgebase (this resource is *always* growing, and feedback is
appreciated!)

This feature exists in Retrospect to allow you to duplicate a file from a
Mac to a PC, and then to duplicate it back without losing any component of
that file; in this way Retrospect compensates for the differences in how the
two operating systems see files and their attributes.

Not all Mac files are dual-fork, which likely explains why you don't get the
message on all files.

Regards,

Irena Solomon
Dantz Technical Support
925.253.3050
++++++++

>From p. 99, Retrospect 4.2 User's Guide:

Unlike files on Windows volumes, many Macintosh files are made up of two
parts, called forks: one fork includes data and the other includes
resources. When Retrospect copies a dual-fork Macintosh file to a Windows
client volume, it takes the following steps to separate the forks into
different files.

- It stores the data fork in a new file, which has the same name as the
original file.

- It creates a new folder named Resource.Frk, which is hidden and resides in
the same folder path as the data fork file.

- It stores the resource fork in a new file which resides in the
Resource.Frk folder and has the same name as the original file.

- It tracks fork-separated files in a hidden file named Finder.Dat, which
resides in the same folder path as the data fork file.

If you move one of these Macintosh files on a Windows computer, it is
unusable unless you also move the other files and folder. When you use a
Retrospect Browser to view a Windows client volume containing these split
Macintosh files, only a single file appears. When viewed from Windows, the
extra files appear (unless Windows is set to hide hidden files). When you
back up the files to a backup set or duplicate them to a Macintosh volume,
Retrospect integrates them into the single original file.

------