Hello Christian,
Actually the original installation is on a different server and it is
using "Custom" authentication method with
in the Backends field. I didn't want to disturb that installation so I
installed a fresh copy of 1.0.1 and now I am trying to upgrade a copy
of the original database. Maybe this this new server doesn't have this
"backend" thing? I am not exactly sure what it is to begin with. Is
there a way to change the auth type somewhere in the database since I
can't seem to authenticate?

I did restart the webserver and memcached after upgrade.

The original installation is at least at least couple of years old.