Maybe this is a CVS specific issue?

I know add file/diffs works for svn (and my SCM backend which I've added
support for to ReviewBoard but it is a closed source SCM).

Maybe take a look the diff processors for CVS and SVN? See if you spot
anything, my best guess is that cvs error below is not being recorded to
stdout in a form that reviewboard diff processor can recognize.

Chris