I want to use something else. The problem is, the only good, extensive,
performant search indexing systems are equally hard to install, and many
actually require Lucene under the hood.

There's a new project for doing search that may be easier to use, and I'm
looking into switching to it (even worked on this for a bit) but it's still
too immature. Hopefully in time we can offer support for things other than
Lucene.