Can you plug in a filename and SHA1 into that raw URL mask and see if
it's actually fetching using the SHA1? If modifying the tip of origin
breaks things, I wonder if it's not actually making use of the SHA1 on
your copy of cgit. If things break with gtk+, maybe there is some
compatibility change.

What you can try doing is browsing your repository, going to a file
(on some older revision), and trying to view the raw file. See what
URL you get. There may be a couple versions of the raw URLs, so you
may have to find the one that uses /plain/.