On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Christian Hammond <chip...@chipx86.com>wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Sorry you're hitting problems. Let's see if we can get through them.
>
> First off, I'm curious what problems you hit with Apache. We generally
> recommend Apache and mod_wsgi, though mod_python tends to work well too
> (provided it's available -- Apache deprecated it).

My first attempt was to install vanilla Apache and MySql.  MySql installed
just fine, as did Apache.  But trying to reconfigure Apache to do anything
else was where the problems came up.  I have Python 2.7 on my system (for
other tools I'm already use and scripting with, so downgrading to 2.5 is not
an option).  I couldn't get the build tools to work to manually recompile
mod_python for 2.7 (due to the various make/cmake/gnumake systems I have
installed for working with .Net and Delphi), so I tried looking for
precompiled binaries instead.

Every precompiled system I found failed.  mod_python, FastCGI, FCGI, and
even mod_wsgi broke Apache when I tried to enable them in http.conf.  And by
broke, I mean triggered a "generic error with code 1" when I tried to start
the httpd service.  I went with the BitNami stack for one reason: the only
reference I could find to successfully installing Review Board under Windows
referenced it.  Everyone else listed pages of complaints and problems and
said they either went to a paid system like Kiln or just put everything on a
Linux box instead.

> However, we don't recommend sqlite. That's only really intended for initial
> testing, but won't handle the load of many users.

That's fine, I wasn't jazzed about sqlite at all.  I prefer MySQL, but keep
in mind that the python-mysql bindings available through easy_install are
broken and you have to either build them yourself or find a precompiled
binary for Windows somewhere else.  I was trying to get things up and
running quickly, and it was faster to just use the built-in tool than search
for a pre-built system.

> I don't know anything about the BitNami stack. We don't officially support
> it, but can still try to guide you through. The thing with that is, you'll
> end up wanting to upgrade, and that may require upgrading Django, and so
> you'd have to figure out how that all works with the stack, and how that
> also works with the way Review Board is upgraded.
>
> The fact that you're doing all this on Windows is probably the core
> problem. A lot of the dependencies we use are absolutely a pain on Windows,
> due to a variety of reasons. If you can at all try this on Linux (Ubuntu
> specifically, perhaps in a VM) life will be better for you.

Unfortunately, that's not an option.  We do Windows development on Windows
machines here.  But our source control is in Mercurial and no one comes
recommended more highly than Review Board, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
 But really, I can't afford to run a VM on my workstation just to run a code
review tool.  If that's what I'll have to end up doing, we'll likely have to
use some other tool.

> Now the problem you're hitting is due to the Python path not factoring in
> your Review Board install. This is probably a side effect of using the
> BitNami stack. I imagine it has its own Python interpreter and modules,
> which means it may have a different Python path from what you're using to
> install Review Board. The result would be Review Board installed in one
> place, and your stack looking for modules in another place.
>
> Without knowing how their stack works, it's hard to give specific
> instructions. You'd need to scrap your local Python and use everything from
> their Python. That means their easy_install, installing Python modules into
> their setup, etc. Everything needs to be in the same place, with the same
> Python version, in order to work. It also may mean you'll hit issues with
> some Python modules using binary components, as everything must be compiled
> with the same compiler on Windows for it to work. These aren't Review Board
> problems, but rather the sad reality of Python on Windows.
>
> Again, with Linux, these problems basically go away. You'll have one Python
> you can rely on, a package manager to give you most of what you need, and
> then you'll be good to go. There are a variety of VM solutions, if you want
> to still run on top of Windows. Look at VMware Server, for instance. You can
> find some pre-made Ubuntu server VMs that you can stick Review Board in. The
> install procedure will be much, much easier.
>
> So that's my recommendation. If you have to stick with Windows, you may
> need to scrap the stack and go back to a system-level Python and Apache and
> mod_wsgi, and then we can work on hopefully fixing whatever errors you hit.

Like I said, I *started* with a system-level Python and Apache and had even
more problems with that.  As in I never even got to the "Review Board is
taking a nap" maintenance screen.  I can give that another whirl, but really
... I've already spent far too many manhours trying to get this running
already.  We can chalk it up to "the sad reality of Python on Windows" but
to be perfectly honest, I have not had problems on this level with any other
python-based system.  I followed the "Installing on Windows" directions
to-the-letter the first time, but didn't get anywhere.  That was when I
started Googling for other solutions and alternatives.  Unfortunately, they
haven't seemed to do much better.

I really do want to give Review Board a try, but it has to be able to run on
Windows, and I have to use Python 2.7.  Those are really the only two
requirements I have.