Stephen,

  If You can run Python 2.4 - this is not the case because of really
nice setup.py maintaining all necessary Python dependencies.
VirtualEnv solve almost all problems - only incompatible with mod_wsgi
Apache could be a problem.
Sometimes You must run something on very old machine and upgrading it
is not the case because sometimes you are not owner of machine :)

Regards,