Hi Christian,

Thanks for the reply.  Obviously, you're right, I looked at the
database dump that I did before the "rb-site upgrade" and it did say
1.5.3, so I was not as careful as I thought I was when doing the
migration months ago.  Mea culpa.

I finally twigged on the wording of the yellow box: "...and then
restart your web server".  Whatever was happening seemed to be cached
state in certain httpd processes (thus the intermittent nature, it
depended on what process served what request).  I restarted Apache and
all was well.

Thanks for all your hard work on reviewboard.  I installed it on a
whim years ago and we have gradually built our whole workflow around
it.

  Bill