Thanks for the quick response.  I've restored global_settings.py and
have
made the change as you suggested in my site's conf/settings_local.py.
There was no DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL so I added it there.
Restarted web server and memcached, still getting the same error.
SMTPSenderRefused: (504, 'Need Fully Qualified Address',
u'webmaster@localhost'
Cleared the web browser cache also.

-Ralph