Adding proper API for group creation/modification would be the best option,
and one I'd gladly accept. It wouldn't be a lot of work to add that
support. Probably want to look at the code in webapi/resources.py that
manages repositories or something to get a feel for how it'd work. (Though,
repositories have validation complexity you wouldn't care about.)