For now I've just disabled the gotoAnchor() JS function in diffviewer.js by
having it return false, which makes the browser fallback to going to the
href == the anchor link.

I'm not sure what functionality the JS is providing but to me it's
certainly not worth losing the ability to use the back button to reach the
table of contents of the diff.

I'm curious to hear what it was that was "broken" in 1.7 that fixed this
behavior, and whether you'd agree it's actually an improvement and should
be cleaned up and persisted.

thx,
Chris