I think I figured it out.  I'm running from cygwin mintty window, and
normally finding the git executable via a cygwin symbolic link.  Python is
calling out to windows to run the git process, and git wasn't on the
windows path.

Once I put it there, the next problem was the interactive prompts for
username and password don't work from a cygwin window.  Neither does
python's interactive mode, unless you invoke it via "python -i".  So the
process appeared to be hanging.  The workaround was to run post-review once
from a normal command console to get the login info set up.  Now it's
working from within cygwin, unless it decides to prompt for something else
someday.