Hi Alex,

I've either lost my mind or found a very weird bug, so I want to have you
run a test for me to see what happens.

Blow away your pycrypto installation. You can find the location by doing:

    $ python
    >>> import Crypto
    >>> Crypto.__file__

There should be a path to a .egg file (or something inside it). It should
be a single file, not a directory.

Once you've done that, re-install using:

    $ sudo easy_install -Z pycrypto

-Z is going to have it install as an egg directory, rather than a zip file.

Then try again to set up the repository and see what happens.