Ok,

that didn't appear to have any effect.
I deleted the file that was output by that command and reinstalled using
the command you asked.

I'm still not ruling out that this is a config problem by me. I tried
running the rb shell

rb-site manage /path/ shell

I repeated this (and imported pysvn)
>>> client = pysvn.Client()
>>> client.set_default_username('<user>')
>>> client.info2('svn+ssh://<host>/<repo>')
Password:

This hung until something killed it (maybe 5-10 min)
Should I be trying a rb specific script?