Hi
You could use the /api/review-requests/?last-updated-from=<last update
time> to poll review requests that got updated after the "last update
time". You could also use last-update-to, if you want to limit requests
that happened to a particular time or use them both together to find
requests updated in a particular time interval. The times have to be in the
format of YYYY-MM-DD or YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss or YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss+TZ

The other option is to write an extension that listens for the
review_request_published signal and acts accordingly, but since you
mentioned that the other system is sluggish, the users might have the same
experience as the signals get processed in the same thread.

Regards
Raja