The problem has to do with order of operations performed, and not state in
the database, unfortunately. I appreciate the offer of an SQL dump, but it
wouldn't tell us anything.

What we need, basically, is a unit test that reproduces the behavior. We
haven't been able to create one yet from the feedback we've received. We've
seen a lot of repro cases that appear to cause the behavior, but when
conducted on a separate install or in a unit test, it no longer reproduces.
:/

I still poke at it from time to time. If you are able to create a solid
repro case, I'd love to hear about it.