In addition to that, the version string:

P4D/LINUX26AMD64/2005.1.PATCH/99707 (2006/05/16)

is failing in the perforce.py match (the .PATCH is throwing it off.)

        m = re.search(r'[^ ]*/([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)/[0-9]+ .*$',
                      server_version, re.M)
        if m:
            self.p4d_version = int(m.group(1)), int(m.group(2))
        else:
            # Gracefully bail if we don't get a match
            return None

I'm slowly making progress (commented out the attempts to
use self.p4_client self.p4_port self.p4_passwd as options
to the p4 command (and just counting on having a logged
in instance.)