Understood.  Here is the output of 'cvs -f -d <cvsroot> version' with an
invalid repository path:

$ cvs -f -d username@cvshost:/invalid/path version; echo $?
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.12.13 (client/server)
Server: Cannot access /invalid/path/CVSROOT
No such file or directory
1

And the output using a valid repository path:

$ cvs -f -d username@cvshost:/opt/cvs/root version; echo $?
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.12.13 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.22 (client/server)
0

As you might have guessed I substituted the username and host, but the
output is the actual output from that command.

Here's the output using a valid CVSROOT with the rls command:
$ cvs -f -d username@cvshost:/opt/cvs/root rls; echo $?
cvs [rls aborted]: server does not support rls
1