Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm looking for an answer for this
exact same topic.

In my specific case, I'm attempting to integrate with AccuRev.

I've dabbled a bit and, quite frankly, the code is of very high quality and
I've made some decent progress. The problem is that I'm having a very hard
time figuring out exactly what needs to be implemented.

Is there anything I can use as a reference (apart from trial-and-error by
looking at other implementations)?