Hi Eric,

It sounds like a lot of the problems boil down to the MyISAM vs. InnoDB
incompatibility. I recommend altering the tables using the MySQL command line
and not a dump/load. You should be able to do this by performing the following
on each table:

    ALTER TABLE `tablename` ENGINE=InnoDB;

You'd need to do this for *all* tables. From an answer on this StackOverflow
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3856435/how-to-convert-all-tables-from-myisam-into-innodb),
 you can do:

    SET @DATABASE_NAME = 'name_of_your_db';

    SELECT  CONCAT('ALTER TABLE `', table_name, '` ENGINE=InnoDB;') AS
sql_statements
    FROM    information_schema.tables AS tb
    WHERE   table_schema = @DATABASE_NAME
    AND     `ENGINE` = 'MyISAM'
    AND     `TABLE_TYPE` = 'BASE TABLE'
    ORDER BY table_name DESC;

I'd test all this on a backup first.

Once you do that, I would expect a simple rb-site upgrade to work. You
shouldn't need to do any database dumps/loads for any of this.

Do you have a list of the schema changes you've made to your database? It
sounded like there was at least one. If there are more, you may run into issues
down the road as you upgrade.

Completely optional, but we offer direct assistance with difficult upgrades due
to things like schema changes or other problems as part of a support contract,
where we'll grab a copy of the database schema and figure out exactly what it'd
take to get a successful upgrade going. I'm also happy to help on here, of
course, but if this ends up becoming very hard to diagnose, that could be a
suitable option for you.