--username is for authenticating to the review board server. --submit-as is
for impersonating another user (assuming the authenticated user has the
right permissions) after authentication.

The aforementioned scenario (having a post-commit hook or CI task) to post
review requests on behalf of others is the use case for --submit-as.

-David