I would like to add a few number of users to the Web  but I think there is
no API supporting this.

Is it okay if I just add the users to database?

I tried to insert to auth_user table and I can see the users in Web UI. At
the login time the password does not work so we try to reset the password
but the email is not being sent to the users.

Is there any other table that I need to update as well?
What do I need to do for the password when I insert to table?