I have GNU Patch 2.7.5 installed on Debian Jessie. (apt-get install patch
got that version).  That is apparently KEY to patch generation.
I wonder if there's any regression in Debian's patches to patch.   patch
2.7.5 was released circa 2012, so that seems pretty stable.

I checked my command line svn checkout and it works.   svn diff -r ##### is
working from commandline too.