Hello,

I'm having a specific problem in trying to automate our use of 'rbt post'
in a git post-commit environment.  Any advice or solution would be
appreciated.

In our current workflow, developers commit and push to their own branches
prior to peer review, and then we review changes in those branches before
merging from their branches.

I'm trying to automate calls to the rbt command for changes that have
already been made to developer branches prior to merging from those
branches.  Basically, on the first 'rbt post', I want to call it without a
'-u', and for all subsequent calls for the same branch to include a '-u'.

MY PROBLEM is, I have not yet been able to create a script that can
determine if 'rbt post' should be called with an update option '-u' or not.

My script currently calls rbt post as follows,  (Note that $RB_UPDATE is
equal to either '-u' or ''):
    rbt post --api-token $RB_API_TOKEN $RB_UPDATE --guess-summary
--guess-description --branch $BRANCH --tracking-branch $PARENT_BRANCH -d -p
$commit_id

I've found no efficient automated way to use 'rbt api-get' on
/review-requests/ to determine if rbt has any commit records for a
developer owned branch.  My thinking was that if reviewboard knows about a
prior commit for the branch, then for any subsequent 'rbt post', $RB_UPDATE
should be set to '-u'.    I also tried using curl over http with a GET, but
did not find the right incantation.

Is there an efficient way to automatically determine if 'rbt post' should
be called with an update option '-u' or not?

Does my approach for automating use of reviewboard seem reasonable, or is
there a better strategy that I should consider?

Thank you,

Terry L. Bringazi