Hi Joe,

First of all, updates in Riak TS are not safe. There are write-once
optimizations which take shortcuts in the logic that ensures your
writes are consistent. In the simplest scenario of a single client
doing the writes at one and the same node of a cluster that completes
the writing faster than the client issues a new request, and no
partitions occur, data will be successfully overwritten. If any of the
above conditions are not met, you may see old values in subsequent
reads.

That said, there is no difference, in terms of amount of data going
from coordinator to the leveldb nodes, between initial (clean) writes
and overwrites. If you do a deletion before writing, however, the full
record will be read (but not delivered from the eleveldb node to the
coordinator). The latter issue was fixed in
https://github.com/basho/riak_kv/pull/1630 and should be gone in 1.6.

Regards,
Andrei