________________________________

From: Darin Hoffman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Mon 8/9/2004 5:23 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello all:

I am currently working on a rietveld refinement of CoFe2O4 using GSAS. The
structural model I am using is
Site A 1/8, 1/8, 1/8
Site B 1/2, 1/2, 1/2
Oxygen site 1/4+d,1/4+d,1/4+d

On site A and B both Iron and Cobalt are present.

I am trying to create a constraint that forces the ratio of the Co:Fe to be
1:2 as well as force the fractional occupancies of each site to inverse
each other .  In other words percent Iron goes up percent Cobalt goes
down.  This part I have been able to do quite easily.  I thought I was able
to set up the 1:2 ratio constraint correctly but I don't believe the answer
because I am getting the Cobalt on both sites to have a Fraction value of
~0.28 and the Iron fraction to = ~ 0.57.  I know that I may have vacancies
but I don't believe both site should be the same.

Can anyone please tell me how to set up a chemical ratio constraint either
going through the EXPGUI or DOS interface?

Sincerely,

Darin Hoffman

Darin Hoffman, TSPA
Research Intern, NPDF