Gentlemen,
I've been listening for a week or so and I am really wondering what do you
want to get ... Actually you are setting up a "refinement", whose results
will be, at least, inaccurate. I am always surprised by attempts to refine
crystal structure of a disordered sheet silicate from powders, especially
when it is known it hardly works with single crystal data. Yes, there are
several models of disorder, but who has ever proved they are really good ?
I do not mean here a graphical comparison of powder patterns with a
calculated trace, but a comparison of structure factors or integrated
intensities. (Which ones are to be selected is well described in the works
of my colleague, S.Durovic and his co-workers.)
As far as powders are concerned, all sheet silicates "suffer" from
prefered orientation along 001. Until you have a pattern taken in a
capillary or in transmission mode, this effect will be dominating and you
can forget such noble problems like anisotropic broadening.

Last but not least : quantitative phase analysis by "Rietveld" is (when only
scale factors are "on") nothing else but multiple linear regression. There
is a huge volume of literature on the topic, especially which variables
must, which should and which could be a part of your model.
I really wonder why the authors of program do not add one option called
"QUAN", which could, upon convergence of highly sophisticated non-linear
L-S, fix all parameters but scale factors and run standard tests or factor
analysis. One more diagonalization is not very time consuming, is it ? To
avoid numerical problems, I'd use SVD.
This idea is free and if it helps people reporting 0.1% MgO (SiO2) in a
mixture  of 10 phases to think a little of the numbers they are getting, I
would only be happy :-)
Lubo

P.S. Hereby I declare I have never used Topas and I am thus not familiar
with all its advantages or disadvantages compared to other codes.