----- On May 10, 2016, at 12:58 PM, Yuri y...@rawbw.com wrote:

> On 05/10/2016 07:08, Stepan Salenikovich wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Thanks for the heads up. What are the possible alternatives for a c++ dbus
>> library (which does not require heavy dependencies such as qt or glib)?
>>
>> Please note that the Ring codebase is based on sflphone, which dates back to
>> 2004 (though I didn't search to see when dbus was integrated).
>>
>> Also, I noticed the last message on the sourceforge mailing list mentioned
>> moving the repo to github, which does have recent commits, possibly its
>> somewhat maintained there now?
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/dbus-cplusplus/mailman/message/34731100/
>> https://github.com/andreas-volz/dbus-cplusplus
>
> I actually don't know anything about dbus-cplusplus. I tried to make the
> FreeBSD port and hit this issue. I know that if there is no package for
> it, this means that pretty much nobody is using it.

Ok, well thank you for the effort. Unless there is a compatible/similar
library, I imagine it would potentially take significant effort to change dbus
libs.

There are some possible altrenatives though. First, have you tried compiling
dbus-c++ from that github repo? Quickly looking at the commit messages, it
seems some of the 2015 patches there were to fix compilation and portability
issue:
https://github.com/andreas-volz/dbus-cplusplus

Second, it is possible to compile the ring-daemon without dbus (it is a
configure option). I'm not sure if anyone has tested this in a while, but you
can then link the client to it directly, so that Ring is one process, instead
of daemon and client. This should just involve chaning configure and cmake
options and should "just work" as this is how the windows and OSX version is
run. Let us know if you need help if you want to try this approach.

-stepan