I've been thinking about tagging recently, as I looked at my own
hopelessly muddled collection.  Many many tags, mostly non-functional.
Begging to be rationalized.  I'm particularly interested in genre tags,
as others (composer, artist, album artist, etc) are pretty
straightforward.

So this led me to consider what exactly I'd like in terms of genre
tagging functionality.  Some observations:

- Genre tagging is a kind of taxonomy, not unrelated to scientific
  taxonomies
- For me, you can think of these tags in a hierarchical or nested
  sense, e.g. Acoustic Blues is a subset of Blues
- Actual genre tags don't need to be "nested", as multiple tag terms
  can be applied to an item (e.g. both Blues and Acoustic Blues)
- But manually entering multiple genre tags for an item is tedious
  when you have thousands to do
-

A tagging utility that automatically populated higher level genre tags
on the basis of selection of lower level tags would be supremely useful.
For instance, if I was tagging a Howlin' Wolf record I could just
select "Chicago Blues" as a bottom level tag, and the utility would
automatically tag the recording with Chicago Blues, Electric Blues and
Blues. It could also generate the tag Urban Blues, even though Urban
Blues are not necessarily Electric.

I don't have a great many classical recordings, but this kind of genre
tagging would be very useful there.  It seems that everyone has
different ideas about classical tagging, and I'd have to think about my
categories -- but I'd like to be able to capture primary instrument in
concertos (flute, violin, oboe, etc) as well as things like musical
"style", e.g. classical, baroque, renaissance, modern).  I'm much
clearer on non-classical music, I admit.

Ideally, such a utility would come with a bunch of pre-sets, but would
be "programmable".  Even entirely naked, requiring complete programming,
wouldn't be a bad thing.  The up front investment in setting up the tag
categories would pay off in fairly short order during a re-tagging
bout.

Anyway, is this a total fantasy or is there something out there that
might help me?

R.

LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm
speakers
Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
Radio (WiFi) - home office
Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used),
Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
Touch x 1 - spare
UE Radio x 1 - spare
Boom x 1 - spare